Cincinnati Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Experienced Workers’ Compensation Attorney Serving Cincinnati, OH and the Surrounding Area

In Ohio, workers’ compensation laws provide monetary awards to employees who have sustained injuries on the job and benefits to dependents of those who are killed due to work-related accidents or illnesses. 

When an on-the-job injury prevents you from returning to work, it’s important to seek legal representation from a lawyer who deals frequently with Ohio’s workers’ compensation law. Fortunately, experienced Cincinnati, Ohio workers’ compensation attorney Mark L. Newman takes on workers’ compensation cases of all sorts. He can help you pursue the benefits you need while you focus on recovering from your injury.

If you have already tried to get workers’ compensation benefits on your own and haven’t been successful, Mark can offer experienced advice and advocacy. He has helped many people like you to get approval or successfully appeal their workers’ compensation claims. 

To speak with Attorney Newman about your case, please call (513) 533-2009 or reach out online today to schedule a consultation.


Workers Compensation Attorneys Ohio

Understanding Ohio’s Workers’ Compensation Claim Process

The Ohio workers’ compensation process stands out due to its unique structure involving state-run insurance. Unlike many other states where employers obtain workers’ compensation insurance from private insurers, in Ohio, the state itself acts as the insurance company through the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC). 

Navigating this system can be complex, making the role of knowledgeable workers’ compensation attorneys critical for employees seeking to secure their rightful benefits. Cincinnati workers’ compensation attorney Mark L. Newman is adept at guiding claimants through the intricacies of Ohio’s workers’ compensation landscape, ensuring that injured workers receive necessary financial support in a timely and efficient manner. 

Ohio Workers’ Comp FAQs

An injury in the workplace can be a serious financial setback. You may suddenly be faced with sizable medical expenses, and if you are unable to work, simply paying your bills could prove difficult. Fortunately, workers’ compensation benefits can help you defray these costs. Attorney Mark L. Newman regularly works with individuals in the Cincinnati area as they file claims for their work-related injuries.

Below are some frequently asked questions about workers’ compensation:

In Ohio, workers' compensation is a state-mandated program that provides compensation to employees who have suffered a workplace injury or illness. It serves as a safety net, offering benefits that cover medical expenses and a portion of lost wages incurred due to the inability to work following the injury.

The system is based on a mutual understanding between employers and employees: employees receive workers’ compensation without the need to prove fault or negligence on the part of the employer, and in return, they generally forfeit the right to sue the employer for damages related to the injury. This helps employees get necessary financial assistance quickly, allowing them to focus on recovery and return to work while employers are protected from costly legal battles.

If your job has left you injured or sick, the long-term financial impact could be devastating to you and your family. Worker's compensation is in place to help injured workers get through these difficult times. While it is not necessary, the assistance of a Cincinnati work accident lawyer will ensure that you have access to the benefits you need.

If you are injured at work, here are the steps that you should follow:

  1. Report the injury to your supervisor or a representative of your employer.
  2. Complete a written accident report.
  3. You should seek medical treatment immediately.
  4. Tell the doctor how you were injured and that the injury occurred at work. (You can receive medical treatment from a doctor of your choice as long as the doctor is an Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC), certified provider.)

A worker’s compensation claim is filed by completing a First Report of Injury (FROI) and filing with the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation or with your Managed Care Organization. You can also file a claim online at Injured workers, employers, medical providers, managed care organizations, and workers’ compensation lawyers can all file a First Report of Injury. 

Once the FROI is filed, the BWC will assign you a claim number and investigate the claim. Beginning on September 29, 2017, injured workers must file a claim within one year of the date of injury.

If you received an injury in the course or arising out of your employment, you should have a workers' comp claim. This may be anything from a slip and fall accident at your workplace, an overexertion or repetitive motion injury, or even a work-related car accident.

If you are still unsure, your best option is to contact a Cincinnati workers' compensation attorney to determine whether or not you have a workers' comp claim.

The Ohio BWC makes initial decisions to allow or deny a workers’ compensation claim. A BWC claims specialist will contact you and the employer to discuss your claim. The BWC will also request medical records from the medical providers who treated you for your work injury. The BWC is required to issue a written decision either allowing or denying your claim within 28 days.

  1. Once you receive the BWC decision, you have 14 days to file an appeal and request a hearing before a District Hearing Officer of the Industrial Commission. 
  2. A DHO hearing will be scheduled within 45 days of filing the appeal. 
  3. The District Hearing Officer will issue a written decision within 7 days and send a copy to the injured worker, employer, BWC and the attorneys for all parties. 
  4. Once you receive the District Hearing Officer’s decision, you have 14 days to file an appeal and request a second hearing before a Staff Hearing Officer of the Industrial Commission. 
  5. A hearing before a Staff Hearing Officer will be scheduled within 45 days of filing the appeal to the District Hearing Officer’s decision. 
  6. If you disagree with the Staff Hearing Officer’s decision, you have 14 days to file an appeal to the full Industrial Commission. 
  7. After reviewing the facts of the appeal, the Industrial Commission will issue a decision either agreeing or refusing to hear the appeal. In some cases, either party may file an appeal in Common Pleas Court to contest the Industrial Commission decision. 
  8. A Notice of Appeal must be filed in Common Pleas Court within 60 days of receipt of the Industrial Commission order.
A hearing before the Industrial Commission is informal and takes place in a small hearing room with only a few people present. A hearing can last anywhere from a few minutes to 30 minutes depending on the issue. There are two levels of hearing: District Hearing Officer and Staff Hearing Officer. The types of issues presented before the Industrial Commission include disputes regarding:
  • Initial allowance of the claim
  • Additional allowance requests
  • Medical treatment requests
  • Temporary total compensation
  • Permanent partial disability compensation
Because this is an administrative hearing, the formal rules of evidence do not apply. Both parties and their representatives will have an opportunity to present their position and present medical evidence. It is important to understand the issue so you are properly prepared for the hearing. Cincinnati workers’ compensation attorney Mark L. Newman can help you prepare for your Industrial Commission hearing.

Once your claim is allowed, all of your medical providers who have treated you for your work injury should submit their bills to the Managed Care Organization. The MCO reviews the bills and forward the bills to the BWC for payment. If you receive a medical bill, you should advise your medical provider that the treatment was for a work injury and ask them to send the bill to the MCO. The name, address, and phone number of your MCO is printed on your injured worker ID card sent to you by the Ohio BWC.

If the pharmacy submitted the bill to the Pharmacy Benefits Manager (PBM) when dispensing the prescription, you will be reimbursed when the claim is allowed. If you paid cash for your prescription and the bill was not sent to the PBM, you will need your pharmacist to complete a BWC Outpatient Medical Invoice (C-17) to get reimbursed.

Your workers’ compensation benefits will depend on the extent of your injury and can include any of the following:

  • Payment of medical bills
  • Temporary total disability
  • Wage loss compensation
  • Permanent partial disability
  • Permanent total disability
  • Scheduled Loss Award
  • Vocational rehabilitation and living maintenance
  • Lump sum settlement

Since the worker's comp process is different in Ohio than in other states, Cincinnati workers' compensation lawyers like Mark L. Newman can offer critical assistance in these difficult cases.  With extensive knowledge in this field, Attorney Newman can help you navigate the complexities of filing a workers’ compensation claim in Ohio, helping to speed along the process and ensuring you get everything you're entitled to.

Injury or disability?

Contact Us Now

Workers' Comp Benefits in Ohio

Whether you have a serious injury or a relatively minor one, if it prevents you from working or results in medical bills, an Ohio workers’ compensation lawyer can help you pursue the full benefits you’re entitled to. 

That being said, there are many different types of workers’ compensation benefits in Ohio. These include:

Depending on the nature of your injury or occupational disease, a lump-sum settlement might be worth pursuing. There are many factors to consider, including possible future medical costs and your ability to work in the same job. Contact our Cincinnati law firm to learn more about workers’ compensation settlements. Attorney Newman is ready to answer your questions and help you make important decisions. You’ll feel confident in knowing the current status of your claim and when you can expect to receive your benefits.

Call Cincinnati, Ohio Workers’ Compensation Attorney Mark L. Newman Today

If you’ve experienced a workplace accident in Cincinnati and are seeking to pursue compensation, Cincinnati workers’ compensation attorney Mark L. Newman is here to help. With a deep understanding of workers’ comp cases and a commitment to fighting for your best interests, Mark L. Newman offers the expertise and support you need to navigate the complexities of workers’ compensation claims.

Do you have a Cincinnati Workers's Comp Case?

Mark L. Newman will represent you on a contingency fee basis, which means our law firm is not entitled to legal fees unless you are awarded appropriate compensation. If you have questions about workers’ compensation in Ohio, are curious about applying for Social Security Disability, or need help filing an appeal, please call us at (513) 533-2009 or contact us by email today.

Mark L. Newman Attorney at Law

3074 Madison Road Suite 2N
Cincinnati, OH 45209
Phone: (513) 533-2009
Fax: (513) 991-6439


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.